Tuesday, March 30, 2010

to love science

Oh Science, I am utterly your captive. I have long been fascinated by the intricate art of your being. I must say, however, that I am rather partial to Biology. That is not to say that your other branches are lacking, for certainly sweet Chemistry has his virtues. Chemistry always had a more masculine aura about him; he focused on rules, order, explanations, explosions, reactions, and many other boyish things. Chemistry was also prone to cut out all whimsical fancy, simply because he was always a sucker for the facts. He was, despite his interesting disposition, cold hearted and detached. I tried on numerous occasions to become better acquainted with him, but he proved to be uncompromising.
Biology on the other hand, was my match made in heaven; she embodies a more feminine spirit. Essentially, Biology is the study of life, and what could be more beautiful and endearing to the human spirit? With Biology, I envisioned a master plan. I saw life in motion, with a grace not unlike poetry. The systems and circles were ever entwined and moved with each other in a choreographed dance. I saw the ecosystem, the population, the individual, the cell, and all the workings thereof. I beheld the brilliance of the organization. I have come to think endearingly of Biology as my breadcrumbs from God. While it is true that many things remain in the dark, enough is revealed to know that there is order and purpose with every step. I literally see God's hand in all things as I study biology and I marvel at the extensiveness of such a design. All of the known facts of Biology could be considered a single bite of cake, you simply don't need the whole thing to know that it is good. Biology catered to my imagination, satiated my spiritual quest, and feed my zeal for nature.
I am not trying to say that I love women in an un-platonic sense (because I don't, I'm rather fond of men) when I state that I am partial to Biology, but simply that Chemistry, being a man, is an entity that I can hardly relate to and have an even harder time comprehending. After all, what woman has ever been able to truly comprehend a man? for if she had, then she would have become the keeper of the world's best kept secret and I would think of her as a wretched being for not sharing such a treasure with her other female colleagues. No~ He tended to focus too much upon the intricacies of the molecular science; like a photograph that has been zoomed entirely too much upon a certain focal point and the fullness of the picture can neither be seen, nor appreciated. If a particular branch of science were to sing a siren's song to me, then I must be honest and say that is was Biology that truly reached out and plucked my heart strings and gave me a love for science.

No comments:

Post a Comment